Title VI Part B, Subpart 2
The purpose of the program is to provide financial assistance to rural districts to assist them in meeting their state's definition of adequate yearly progress (AYP). Applicants do not compete but rather are entitled to funds if they meet basic eligibility requirements. Eligibility is restricted by statute.
Awards are issued annually to state education agencies (SEAs), which make subgrants to local education agencies (LEAs) that meet the applicable requirements. Awards are made to all SEAs that apply and meet the applicable requirements of the act. If an SEA does not participate, awards are issued by the department to eligible LEAs in the state either competitively or by formula.
Recipients may use program funds to conduct the following activities:
- Teacher recruitment and retention
- Teacher professional development
- Support for educational technology
- Parental involvement
- Activities authorized under the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities
- Activities to improve basic programs operated by LEAs
- Activities authorized under Title III, language instruction for limited English proficient and immigrant students.